Welcome to my world of writing. Go with me where many of you have gone before.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Friday, January 14, 2011

Miss Winnie Lilly's Extraordinary House

Just a few more days and Miss Winnie Lilly's Extraordinary House will be ready for its first review..  This has been fun and I have enjoyed working with the young lady who did the illustrating.  Every time I work with the publisher I learn something new.  She has taught me so much and I know that when we rush things we just pay for it in the long run.  This time I will be waiting for the proof in the mail before I okay the printing. 

My experience with What Is Your Name? was a learning experience.  I didn't wait for the hard proof from the printer and assumed that it would be printed perfectly.  Wrong!  That was my mistake.  I was in a hurry....lesson learned.  It had two errors, which I didn't catch when I read it as I printed it out.  So, because of that I have had to wait for another printing and that has caused people to have to wait on their books.  But, I have just had good news that the books will be at the publisher's today  Of course, the delivery was supposed to come to me directly, but the printer decided to save money and ship things together.  That is fine with me.  I am impatient but I know they are on their way and that is what counts.

When I read books written by other authors and I see errors I now know that it is probably not the printer's fault, at all, or even the editor's.  When the author receives the final proof and signs off on it, that is what will be printed.  It is a mistake to read your proof quickly or not to have input from others.  We are so used to reading what we wrote that we gloss over errors and our eyes are not looking for letters...just words.  So, a word to the wise:  Read, read, read and then read backwards to make sure all the words are spelled correctly.  Spellcheck on a computer is just not enough.  Ask several of your friends to read it, also.  You can never have too many eyes!!!

Why is it that the older we get we find that we still don't know everything?  I keep thinking that I can't have that much more to learn, but I find myself proved wrong every single day.  Thanks for staying with me through all my trials.  I know that it is going to get better but that there will be another trial soon. That is how God keeps me humble and right now I am very humble!

No comments:

Post a Comment