Welcome to my world of writing. Go with me where many of you have gone before.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Friday, January 7, 2011

End of the week...

It's Friday and the end of the week...what have I accomplished???  Well, I did a lot of nothing; wrote an article for AAA magazine and waited for more rejections.  The good news is that I didn't receive any rejections but neither did I receive any acceptances.  However, I did practice my writing skills and that is the important thing.  For those of you who are feeling a bit "rejected" at the end of this week, there is always tomorrow. 

I have had a few friends who have recently published books and I have enjoyed reading them.  One of them in particular is a book about domestic violence.  It is written by Kathy Goodhew and she stepped forward with great courage to write about a subject that is so often kept in the background.  It amazes me, like the elephant in the living room, how this abuse can go on and on and people still avoid talking about it.  The book, A Vision Beyond Abuse, tells Kathy's personal story.  You can find it at her website at   http://home.comcast.net/~kathy-goodhew/site/?/home/.  I wish her the best in her endeavor to bring this subject the front and applaud her effort in courage. 

For those of us who have been subjected to this abuse at some time or other in our lives it is a good feeling to have more and more people educated about the lasting effects this has on a family.  When I was a nurse I used to give the required  classes in domestic violence to student nurses as well as the annual updates required for many professional licensing agencies.  There were always people who would approach me after class with personal questions, reminding me how widespread this epidemic really is.  It is surprising to some to find out that 20% of dating couples experience this in some form and still go on to marriage with that same partner, thinking he or she will change.

Domestic violence is not perpetrated only on women. Men are also the victims in many cases.  No one is exempt and until the subject is talked about openly, more and more victims will remain quietly at home, hoping nobody will notice what goes on behind the closed doors.

Congratulations, Kathy, on your new book and I pray that you will enjoy many sales and enlighten the lives of so many.  Prayers are with you and all the victims out there.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Carolyn for sharing my book, "A Vision Beyond Abuse" on your blog and your insight about the subject of domestic violence. It is apparent that abuse has become an epidemic and will only increase, unless each one of us takes the first step by openly talking about it and gaining understanding. Blessings to you, my sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete